1. Read Ephesians 1:11 & Matthew 10:29. What is God’s will of decree (or hidden will)? Do you find God’s will of decree comforting or unsettling? Discuss.
2. Read Ps. 32:8. In his book The Will of God as a Way of Life, Jerry Sittser describes the conventional notion of understanding God’s will as thinking that God has one right job or spouse or choice for me to make and that we have to figure it out. If we choose wrong, then we are not walking in God’s will. If we choose rightly, then we will have God’s favor. Discuss how you have seen this play out in your life.
3. Read I Thes. 5:16-18, Mt. 6:33-34. Pastor Stephen stated that we Know God’s will of direction (for the future) by being faithful to God’s will of desire (in the present). He described this as the choice before the choice or the choice that affects all other choices. How does this change how you think about the future decisions that you have to make?
4. Read Romans 12:1-2. Pastor Stephen stated that another core truth in knowing God’s will is that worldly success and worldly failure do not determine whether you are in God’s will. How does this help you think about the decisions you have made in the past and that you will make in the future?
5. One struggle we have is to believe that God is good when our life isn’t good. Discuss how Jesus helps you with this by the choices he made to follow the will of God.