1. Describe your first reaction to Union with Christ and why.
2. Read John 15:1-2. Describe the role of the Gardner in pruning in your spiritual journey.
2. Read John 15:3-4 and discuss this quote from Hudson Taylor, “When my agony of soul was at its height, a sentence in a letter from dear McCarthy was used to remove the scales from my eyes, and the Spirit of God revealed to me the truth of our ONENESS with Jesus as I had never know it before. The sweetest part, if one may speak of one part being sweeter than another, is the REST which full identification with Christ brings.”
3. Read John 15:5 and discuss how abiding (remaining) has on your joy (and spiritual life) in light of this quote, “To let my loving Saviour work in me His will, my sanctification, is what I would live for by His grace. ABIDING, not striving nor struggling; looking off unto Him; trusting Him for present power; resting in the love of an almighty Saviour…Let us, then — not seek, not wait, not pursue — but now accept by faith the Saviour’s word — ‘Ye are the branches.’”
4. Spurgeon said, “Affliction is the handle of the knife—affliction is the grindstone that sharpens up the Word of God…Affliction makes us ready to feel the Word, but the true pruner is the Word in the Hand of the Great Husbandman.” How has this been true in your life?