1. Read Ps. 23:1. Discuss why the combination of the first 5 words is so powerful.
2. Read Ps. 23:1. How can David say he lacks nothing? What enables you to say, “The Lord is my Shepherd; I lack nothing.”
3. Read Ps. 23:2. Phillip Keller, who himself was a shepherd, points out that 4 things keep sheep from lying down: fear, friction (relational), flies, and famine. Which do you struggle with the most? Give an example.
4. Read Ps. 23:5, 1 John 2:27, and Ps. 45:7. Describe how the anointing oil of the Good Shepherd enables you to lie down in green pastures and rest.
5. Read Ps. 23:2. Given that there were no knee deep “green pastures” in Israel in David’s day, discuss the implications of a green pasture being a few sprigs of grass clustered around a rock.
6. How is Jesus the perfect Good Shepherd?