Scripture: 2 Corinthians 5:18-20
1. Pastor Stephen defined Christian community development as reconciling relationships through Jesus Christ. Discuss how this differs or agrees with how you have thought about community development.
2. Read 2 Cor. 5: 18-20. In Roman times, the emperor sent an ambassador to hostile territories to (1) represent, (2) woo, (3) and have no personal agenda. As an ambassador of Christ, discuss which is the most difficult and why. If you are not yet a Christian, discuss what you find most challenging to do in the work of community development?
3. Read Dt. 24:19. Discuss the development principle of gleaning (i.e. not doing for others what they can do for themselves) and how this factors into your life as you seek to go about this work of reconciliation.
4. Read Dt. 24: 17-18. Discuss why we do community development and where you get the power to continue in the work of community development?
5. Our community development initiatives are ESL, Youth Development, Harbor Orphan Care, City Heights Runners, Refugee Tutoring, Saratoga Homeless Outreach, Christmas in City Heights, and Tijuana trips. Discuss which you are most drawn to and why.